Compensation: $89,450.00 - $154,470.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Scientific Research
Loading some great jobs for you...
You will serve as a CHEMIST in the DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY.
THIS IS AN EXPEDITED HIRING AUTHORITY ANNOUNCEMENT. The Duncan Hunter National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) FY 2009 provides that the Secretary of Defense can designate acquisition positions as shortage positions and recruit and appoint highly qualified persons to these positions.
Learn more about this agency
* Duties and responsibilities vary and increase according to grade level.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
* Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
* Must be a US Citizen.
* Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
* Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
* New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
* Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
* May be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
* You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
* This position is covered under the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) and requires additional education, training and experience. Positions may be in any DAWIA Career Field at Level I, II, or III.
* This position may be designated Critical Acquisition Position (CAP). You must be a member of the Acquisition Corps, become a member, or obtain a waiver at the time of selection and sign a three-year tenure agreement prior to assuming the position.
* Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) may be required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or pass the test. You will be subject to random testing.
* May be required to complete ethics orientation within three months of appointment and submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-450, within 30 days of appointment.
* Supervisors in the executive branch have a heightened personal responsibility for advancing government ethics. Those selected for a supervisory position will be required to review the 14 General Principles of Ethical Conduct at 5 CFR 2635.101.
* Position selected for may or may not be under a bargaining unit.
* Warrant authority above the small purchase threshold may be required.
* Positions may be eligible for part time, full time or ad-hoc telework at the discretion of management
* You may be required to complete training, obtain, and maintain a government credit card to make official government purchases for goods and services.
* You may be required to complete training, obtain, and maintain a government credit card for travel and travel-related purchases
* This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You may need to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
In addition to the basic education requirements, applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications:
FOR THE GS-07: Your resume must also demonstrate that you have successfully completed one full year of graduate level education OR you have successfully completed a bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement OR you have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-05 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector Conducting chemical tests using a variety of industry standard instruments and samples; Applying various science disciplines such as mathematics, physics, and electronics to aid in resolving problems; and Analyzing testing results for compliance with established guidelines OR you have a combination of education and experience that equates to one year.
FOR THE GS-09: Your resume must also demonstrate that you have successfully completed a master's or equivalent graduate degree OR have successfully completed two full years of progressively higher graduate level education leading to a master's degree OR you have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-07 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector Certifying chemical screening data for accuracy and reliability; Interpreting laboratory test results for quality control and reporting purposes; and Initiating corrective action for identified screening result discrepancies OR you have a combination of education and experience that equates to one year of experience.
FOR THE GS-11: Your resume must also demonstrate that you have successfully completed a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree OR you have successfully completed three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent degree OR you have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-09 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector Investigating, analyzing, and interpreting the composition, physical and chemical properties, molecular structure and chemical reactions of substances; Working with teams of chemists and other experts to research, develop, and report on chemical formulas; and Properly file and report laboratory testing results. OR you have a combination of education and experience that equates to one year of experience.
FOR THE GS-12: Your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector Investigating, analyzing, and interpreting the composition, molecular structure, and properties of substances, the transformations which they undergo, and the amounts of matter and energy included in these transformations; Predicting the transformation substances undergo; and Predicting the amount of matter and energy included in these transformations.
FOR THE GS-13: Your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-12 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector Conducting chemical analyses and experiments to develop new knowledge, materials, processes, and products; Plan, coordinate, and direct programs for research, product development, improvement of processes, or analysis and testing of substances; Coordinate research analysis activities according to applicable government regulations, processes, and local requirements; and Interpret results of laboratory activities to laboratory personnel, management, and professional/technical societies.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
Individual Occupational Requirements link:
Applicants must meet the following basic education requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards Manual:
Successful completion of a Degree: physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics.
Combination of education and experience -- course work equivalent to a major as shown in A above, including at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
FOR THE GS-07- 1 year of graduate-level education or superior academic achievement
FOR THE GS-09 - 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree
FOR THE GS-11-3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
NOTE: Education and experience may be combined for all grade levels for which both education and experience are acceptable.
Applications will be accepted from students who expect to complete qualifying education within 9 months from the date of application. If you expect to complete your education within 9 months, please respond to the questionnaire items as if you had already completed your education. We are required to verify that the education has been completed successfully before any applicant can be appointed (report to work).
Associated topics: biochemistry, ceramic, chemistry, formulation, glass, latex, material, material science, polyurethane, rubber
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...