Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking talented Business Risk & Controls Advisor Lead for our Remote, Colorado Springs, CO, Phoenix, AZ, Tampa, FL or San Antonio, TX facility.
This is a 1st line of defense business risk and controls position that supports the execution of insurance processes. Responsible for supporting and oversight of the Enterprise Business Solutions business control internal processes to execute against the enterprise operational risk requirements.
Promotes a risk-awareness to ensure the overall effectiveness of risk and compliance management programs, risk analytics and operations in the business. This role will partner and collaborate with Compliance and Risk Management, as well as Business Operations, IT, Audit Services, and Regulators to support risk and compliance based initiatives. Responsible for ensuring adherence to the governance of the established risk framework and ongoing supervision of business controls. including risk and control self-assessments, identification and evaluation of control effectiveness, identifying control failures, facilitating risk and compliance remediation, market conduct exams, and monitoring the first line of defense in an effort to minimize risk exposures and strengthen the overall control environment. Manages risk assessment data, and identifies key data-driven insights tied to first line of defense.
- Directs and oversees multiple initiatives in support of risk and/or regulatory compliance related initiatives on behalf of the business including but not limited to: oversight of procedures/process, accurate regulatory reporting and filing, document governance, risk control self-assessments, procedure governance, control design, new product controls, supplier governance, or quality governance.
- Serves as a Subject Matter Expert in more than one key area (e.g. Governance Risk and Compliance (GRC) data and Business Controls Management and applies a holistic understanding of risk and regulatory compliance to influence business strategies and solutions.
- Hold responsible for first line of defense data analysis, report preparation and trend analysis, utilizing business intelligence tools.
- Identifies opportunities to leverage untapped resources across the enterprise to improve and strengthen the control environment through actionable insights.
- Designs solutions for unanswered business questions and anticipates future business needs.
- Directs, organizes and oversees action plans designed to enhance governance practices in alignment with risk and compliance frameworks.
- Influences and develops innovative solutions to mitigate risk and prevent risk exposures which result in significant business impacts.
- Manages the most complex projects involving cross-functional areas within the first line of defense.
- Defines and outlines new approaches to problem resolution, and leads project team from concept through implementation.
- Advises senior management on the status of their control environment related to risk identification and control weaknesses.
- Identifies critical areas to monitor and escalates issues and findings to appropriate stakeholders.
- Serves as a primary resource to cross functional team members and advises on risk mitigation opportunities.
- Stays informed of changes to the regulatory environment to ensure proper compliance with processes and requirements are followed.
- Bachelor's Degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 or more years of operations experience in a risk management functional area to include financial services, insurance, banking, investment, information technology, public accounting or other related operational area that supports risk/compliance initiatives within the business is required.
- Expert knowledge of relevant regulatory compliance, industry regulations and regulatory data sources required.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- 8 years experience interacting with regulatory agencies to ensure appropriate execution of regulatory requests
- 5 years of large financial institution, banking and UDAP experience
- Ability to submit a written sample pertaining to risk management
- Experience identifying, developing and writing controls, risks and/or audit techniques.
- Data analysis abilities in identifying trends and formulating logical conclusions
- ARM, ARM-e, CPA, CISA, CRCM, CIA, CCSA, NBE or other risk/compliance certifications
- Bachelor s Degree and MBA/advanced degree
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidatesto apply to the opening is 01/15/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.
Associated topics: application developer, architect, architecture, backend, design, devops, java, maven, php, senior software engineer