Assist journeyman in the planning, lay-out, installation, testing and repair all types of piping systems in accordance with all applicable plans, specifications, codes and industry standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Use appropriate hand (i.e. wrap around) and power tools (i.e. grinders) to fit and install all types of pipe and/or similar tubular products.
* Assist in the installation of all types of piping, including high pressure piping, valves, couplings and other fittings.
* Cut or drill holes in walls to permit passage of pipes.
* Select specified type and size of pipe.
* Mount pipe hangers and brackets on walls and ceilings to hold pipe.
* May disassemble and remove damaged or worn pipe.
* Load, transport, unload, and furnish experienced craft workers with materials, tools, equipment and supplies.
* Clean work area and restock supplies and materials as necessary.
* Assist in lifting, positioning, and securing of materials and work pieces during installation.
* Perform minor maintenance or cleaning activities of craft worker's tools and equipment.
* Perform any other routine duties as directed by experienced craft workers.
* Help install all other items in accordance with the applicable plans and specifications.
* Participate in all safety related processes and programs as requested. Engage with your work team to ensure we achieve zero injuries. Understand that no job is so important that your safety and that of your crew will be compromised. Watch for hazards and report any concerns to your supervisor or safety professional. If needed, use your stop work authority until the issue is resolved.
* Report all accidents and near misses to supervisor; participate in investigation process as needed.
* Participate in all pre-job work planning and safety discussions; Identify safety hazards you or other employees may be subject to and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate and/or mitigate hazards.
* Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (i.e. back-up alarms, smell of smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens).
* Understand, support, and follow lockout/tag out procedures. Attend site specific training and assure you follow all procedures as out lined in training.
* Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean work environment.
* Use effective verbal and written communication skills. Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and fractions rapidly and accurately.
* Listen to co-worker's suggestions, safety concerns, and recommendations giving full attention to what they are saying and take the time to understand the points being made, asking questions and providing feedback when appropriate.
* Coordinate work with other crafts and co-workers on the job.
* Actively participate in on-the-job training and mentoring opportunities with co-workers in your craft when provided.
* Produce quality work, meeting requirements of plans, specifications and industry standards.
* Learn to read and understand plans and specifications, including P&ID, orthographic, and isometric drawings. Visualize two dimensional drawings in three dimensions.
* With regard to that portion of the work assigned, assist in planning, installing and/or repair systems in accordance with those plans and specifications. Assist journeymen in laying out work and learn to perform layout independently.
* Learn to observe functioning of installed equipment or systems to determine hazards and need for adjustments, relocation, or replacement. Notify supervision of any hazards observed and utilize safety stop work authority as needed.
* Examine/inspect field conditions and identify problems, inaccuracies, and cost saving measures that arise or that may be encountered. Take corrective actions as needed reporting any issues to your supervision.
* If certified to operate equipment ensure that construction equipment is correctly operated, maintained, in good working order, and Daily Equipment Inspections are completed for equipment being utilized.
* Comply with Company Code of Conduct and jobsite policies.
* Perform all other actions necessary to accomplish the foregoing principal duties and accountabilities.
* Work in other crafts at levels appropriate to training and skills as requested by project supervision.
* Perform all other job related duties as requested by supervisor.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
* Experience working in the Pipefitter, Pipe Welder or similar craft as a helper or laborer, and a basic knowledge of the pipe craft. Developing knowledge of pipefitting techniques and methods for different types of piping systems (i.e. carbon steel, stainless steel, PVC, poly, copper, and various high pressure/temperature alloys) and pipe coupling systems (i.e. butt welded, socket welded, threaded, Victaulic, grooved, glued and fused joints). Ability to understand and follow directions. In addition, must have all necessary tools (see Pipefitter Helper Tool List). Must be at least 18 years of age.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
* Take reasonable care of your own and others' health and safety and of those who may be affected by the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working toward Wanzek's Zero Injury principles
* Proficient in one or more craft areas
* Ability to compute basics numbers, read scales and use simple fractions
* Ability to work well under pressure and within timelines
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Associated topics: fault, gauge, hazard, health, healthy, nursing, safety, waste, wastewater, wwtp